Health Care Providers
Welcome to “BACK” – Better Asthma Control for Kids
Families, school nurses, and healthcare providers are coming together to control asthma.
About the BACK program
We want to lighten your workload.
We will ONLY be contacting your clinic for students whose asthma is poorly controlled and who have agreed to participate in our study.
Our goal is to support care coordination between you, their family, and their school health team as we know that good asthma control includes attention to each of these.
The Better Asthma Control for Kids (BACK) intervention is a school-based asthma program that pairs a community health worker with a school nurse in selected schools to support and provide asthma self-management and care coordination.
Care coordination for BACK includes management of unmet social needs related to social determinants of health (SDOH) – including healthcare access, transportation, food insecurity, public benefits, housing, and utilities
Learn how a clinic benefits from being part of the BACK program
- Help from school nurses identifying kids who need assistance controlling their asthma.
- We support your team to provide quality asthma care coordination with school nurses
- We provide special attention to asthma self-management and care coordination recommendations in the current pediatric asthma guidelines
- We help your patients avoid preventable asthma exacerbations
Providers can help
BACK will operate in the following regions in 2023:
- Colorado Springs area
- Fort Morgan/Greeley area
- Lower Arkansas Valley area
If your practice is located in one of these regions please identify a contact for your clinic.
Having a contact at your clinic will help our community health workers communicate with your practice when they enroll a child in the BACK program.
Get the Asthma Care Plan and Medication Order
School nurses need this updated document on file for each child with asthma.
Colorado Asthma Care Plan and Medication Order for School and Child Care Settings
Use our Social Determinants of Health Screener
This easy-to-understand worksheet for patients can help practices determine if unmet patient needs are getting in the way of asthma control.
National Association of School Nurses:
- Case Management Manual
- A Model for School Nurse-Led Case Management
- Improving Care Coordination for Students with Chronic Health Conditions Toolkit